Keeping an EYE on Butter Bean RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has the dearest face :heart: , and I hate to think of him feeling bad again.

Sending our best healing vibes, bruxxes, and scritches.

Chlorpalm has worked for me, but I have read that it can have cardiotoxicity. Lets hope that the Zithromax does the trick.

I am sorry Butter Bean has taken a turn for the worse. I am wondering why he is having problems eating. If the problem was isolated to his eye and/or his ear, then shouldn't he be able to eat normally? Is something else going on?

Reading your description of PT symptoms, I have to wonder about my own girl, as her back legs and front are strong and she has no problem pulling them away, holding on, climbing, etc; the only thing she has that suggests PT is not holding food with front paws in an upright position (she can do it if food is on the ground), seeming hyper at times, and on occasion rolling backwards when trying to groom herself, although this hasn't occurred in a while. It seems quite difficult to discern the PT from ear then. That said, I know that ear infections that are chronic or have gone on a while before symptoms show can be really tough to clear up and can make them feel lousy, off-set balance, appetite, etc. Does your vet have ear drops called SUROLAN? Sometimes, with an oral antibiotic, they can help. I know some vets are loathe to give chloramphenicol, but I found it to be the only thing that worked, long-term, for some of my rats who had ear problems, head tilt, etc. My vet said it was one of the few antibiotics that actually crossed the blood-brain barrier, and in some ear infections sometimes the bacteria gets into the brain tissue. You may have to check, but I believe that chloramphenicol can be given simultaneously with baytril, as well as with a good anti-inflammatory. I really hope Butter Bean starts to feel better soon. There's nothing worse than when our babies are sick. I'll walk around with a knot in my gut worrying about them and I'm sure most others here go through that too.

You make a good point with the chlorpalm and the blood brain barrier. I'm afraid we might be too late though.

We are on a last ditch effort. The countdown for his end has started. Butter Bean took another big turn for the worse. He can no longer eat or drink. He's extremely unbalanced and is in a constant roll.
I rushed to my vet to pick up Dex. I'm also going to subq him... by Monday, if there are no changes, Butter Bean will be put to sleep. :sad3:

:hugs: I'm so sorry. I recently lost a girl to an ear infection that was largely asymptomatic. They are so hard to treat in small animals, it's heart breaking. Your vet didn't suggest stronger ear drops than Polysporin? With Danai (my rabbit) we used Canuaral and later Baytrilotic.

The drops were for the eyes, not ears. She really doesn't like ear drops for ears. I never thought to ask about that. Next time, I'll be more prepared I think. I'm also wondering if we would have done surgery to remove the eye, would that have made a difference, maybe avoid the ear infection? I don't know... It really is heart breaking.

Jorats, before you consider PTS, please ask your vet to give the chlorapalm 250 and the SUROLAN drops for the ears and try those for at least a week or two. He may have no appetite if he feels dizzy and sick. I had the same thing happen with two of my rats and it took a solid month before I saw even mild progress; but they did get better. You would have to feed him syringe-style soft foods while you work through this. Unless he cannot actually swallow at all, please ask your vet to give this a chance. Bad ear infections cause horrible dizziness, and vertigo causes nausea, which kills the appetite. I can't make up your mind for you...but I'd like your vet to at least consider the above. Use the chloropalm with prednisone; it helped with mine twice. It's only because I saw how chloramphenicol worked wonders before where other meds didn't that I kept at it. I am praying for Butter Bean and you; my heart goes out to you. Hugs.

It doesn't sound like she'll have the choice. By the time the symptoms described are showing, the infection is likely in the brain.

There is a drug I was given for Lola in case she was dizzy - Metoclopramide. It was sub-q and not too expensive, something to keep in mind next time.

If BB was just not eating from dizziness, nauseau I would also suggest children's Gravol to help with that, but the constant rolling is a terrible sign...lets hope the dex really removes that inflammation quickly so the poor sweet boy has a chance.

I have used chlorpalm for inner ear, terrible abscesses (deep and in throat) and other instances and it is a good drug but I would use it more as a last effort as you have to give so much and usually 3 times a day...rats end up hating the tates and fighting meds into a rat 3 times a day is hell.

I have had fantastic luck with baytril and zithromax for persistent inner ear infections...I had 2 culture and sensititivty tests done on inner ear infections and the baytril was definitley one that worked with the bacteria involved.

Gentle kisses to BB!! :heart:

Butter Bean is doing much better today!
He's upright and even just took a few licks of his baby cereal. That's like an 60% improvement from yesterday. I really thought I was going to wake up to a dead Beanie baby. :(
I'm thrilled he's doing so well. He's able to walk about without rolling, his head tilt is manageable.
Shelagh, how much gravol can a rat take? I wish I saw that before going out to do my groceries. Maybe I'll send Mat to go pick some up.

This site says the following:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 214004.htm

"Dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine are first-generation ethanolamine-derivative antihistamines. Diphenhydramine is well absorbed orally in people, but undergoes first-pass metabolism in the liver with only 40-60% of the drug reaching the systemic circulation. Peak plasma concentrations of ethanolamine-derivative antihistamines occur within 1-5 hr; elimination half-lives vary from 2.4-10 hr. A recommended dose for dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine in cats and dogs is 4-8 mg/kg and 2-4 mg/kg, respectively. Hyperactivity or depression, hypersalivation, tachypnea, and tachycardia are the most common adverse signs reported with these antihistamines, generally within 1 hr of exposure."

So 4-8mg/kg, maybe start with 4mg/kg.

LD50 for this drug is high. Wikipedia says 500mg/kg in lab rats and NIH says 1320mg/kg in rats. There are other research papers (http://www.queensu.ca/psychology/Bening ... prp_22.pdf) that use a dose of 24-60mg/kg for abuse studies.

ETA: gravol = Dimenhydrinate

Yesterday and last night, I really thought I should have put Butter Bean to sleep. I thought he was done. He couldn't stop rolling, he stopped eating and drinking. He would be in a constant roll and when he stopped, he would breath heavy. I thought for sure he was going to die over night.
This morning, what an amazing transformation, with just 2 dex doses... he was upright and moving with a huge tilt. He would take food with a syringe. And tonight, after a third dex dose, he's walking around and climbing ramps! I placed him back in his colony cage because he was super lonely, so I raised the ramp up so he couldn't reach to hurt himself or tumble down. I left the room for a few minutes and went looking for him. He was nowhere in sight at the bottom. I look up on the shelf where there's the cozy boat, there he was, squished in there with his brother Jake and his girlfriend Trudie. How did he manage that, I don't know. But then I watched him climb back down, carefully but very well. I'm still going to take him out at night, I will sleep better knowing he's in a safe cage.
Butter Bean and I have been spending a lot of time together and we've bonded over this. Each time he hears my voice he comes rushing towards me. :heart: I love my Butter Bean.

I took a couple of pictures of his roll, just to document. It broke my heart taking these pics.

BBupsm_zps192dba14.jpg

BBupsidedownsm_zpsb5037807.jpg

And just now, in the hammock.

BBhammock_zpsa6003084.jpg

Latest posts

Back