Hand-Rearing 2 fuzzies (feeding questions) (really long, so sorry!!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High-five for five hours of sleep! :thumbup: Raising orphaned animals is a lifestyle burdened with many sacrifices, and definitely not for everyone. It is always worth it in the end, though. :)

Greer can be fed 1.2 mls four times daily, and Sawyer 1.1 mls (4X). Or alternatively, 0.96 mls five times daily (Greer), and 0.88 mls five times daily (Sawyer). Not a colossal increase in their needed formula intake from yesterday, but an increase nonetheless. Babies will generally have something to say when you make changes to their feeding schedule (some worse than others), but should settle with it in a day or two.

The babies will usually begin eliminating on their own between the ages of two and three weeks, but unless you can positively confirm that they are consistently eliminating on their own you need to continue stimulation. How are you keeping/housing them when they are not under supervision? Their environment should always be made for easy inspection of their elimination habits during your absence. Keep it clean at all times. Also, when you say their excrement is "not the cleanest", can you add any further description to this? Do they have loose stools or diarrhea? Diarrhea (almost always caused by overfeeding) is serious and needs to be acted upon immediately so that they do not become dehydrated.

As well, may I ask how they have been with the power-sucking lately? And more importantly, are they still swallowing air during feedings? I had neglected to mention in my previous posts that you must always ensure the babies have stopped swallowing air during their mealtimes before increasing their food intake. Any air swallowed during a feeding fills a portion of their bellies and leaves less room for formula. And so, while you may not have fed them to their stomach's full capacity, the air is taking up a portion of it. You will often see the same symptoms of overfeeding when this happens, even though technically you haven't fed them more formula than they can handle. I believe this is the reason why you have not been seeing enough weight gain. Their stomachs are getting full (partially with air) without getting enough formula in them.

By not the cleanest, I meant that they will poop and it will get stuck to their tail. It's solid, they're doing great with that stuff.

I'm extremely frustrated at this point with their weight gains. Greer has hit 25g a few times but current 24.74g. Sawyer has been losing weight more rather than gaining very quickly if I don't feed them at night. He's down to 22.06g. I feed them every 4 hours during the day which ends up being 5 feedings. They do great, their gains are great throughout the day but at night (and I only sleep 6 hours) they will drop back down quite a bit. They always gain it back but yesterday Sawyer didnt. Greer gains and is going well. Sawyer doesn't gain the way Greer does and I'm losing my mind worrying over it. If I start adding baby cereal to their formula to thicken it up, will they eat it on their own and stop power sucking completely?

Power sucking has good feedings and bad feedings. I feed the separately now and I try to keep from petting or touching them to much. Sawyer is by far the most frantic eater, it's like he's worried he'll never see food again and to top it off, all the frantic movements causes him to just barely miss the paintbrush and than attempt to powersuck.
Greer still power sucks but it doesn't happen as often as Sawyer and it isn't as bad as Sawyer anymore.

I'm worried about them. They are 19 Days Old today and it seems like they're very small for their age.

Advice?

By not the cleanest, I meant that they will poop and it will get stuck to their tail. It's solid, they're doing great with that stuff.

I'm extremely frustrated at this point with their weight gains. Greer has hit 25g a few times but current 24.74g. Sawyer has been losing weight more rather than gaining very quickly if I don't feed them at night. He's down to 22.06g. I feed them every 4 hours during the day which ends up being 5 feedings. They do great, their gains are great throughout the day but at night (and I only sleep 6 hours) they will drop back down quite a bit. They always gain it back but yesterday Sawyer didnt. Greer gains and is going well. Sawyer doesn't gain the way Greer does and I'm losing my mind worrying over it. If I start adding baby cereal to their formula to thicken it up, will they eat it on their own and stop power sucking completely?

Power sucking has good feedings and bad feedings. I feed the separately now and I try to keep from petting or touching them to much. Sawyer is by far the most frantic eater, it's like he's worried he'll never see food again and to top it off, all the frantic movements causes him to just barely miss the paintbrush and than attempt to powersuck.
Greer still power sucks but it doesn't happen as often as Sawyer and it isn't as bad as Sawyer anymore.

I'm worried about them. They are 19 Days Old today and it seems like they're very small for their age.

Advice?

Sorry to hear about this.

If it were me caring for these guys, I would definitely switch Sawyer to a syringe. I have raised more than a few infants that behaved exactly like your description of him (this behaviour is often associated with infants that are malnourished), and modifying the feeding technique was the solution. After regaining their weight, this behaviour tends to subside. With Sawyer's propensity for power-sucking and frantic feeding behaviour, coupled with the utilisation of a paint brush, I believe it is inevitable that he will be swallowing a lot of air during feedings. How comfortable are you with learning how to syringe-feed? I can provide some instructions and tips if you are confident enough, since syringe-feeding does seem to be warranted for getting him in shape based on your description. I would also suggest resuming night feedings for Sawyer until he is where he should be right now.

Greer's weight should not be fluctuating. There should be a steady daily weight gain, which makes me believe he would benefit from a switch over to a syringe as well. How much are you currently feeding these two during their mealtimes, and what do their tummies look/feel like after a feeding? I need to do some trouble-shooting. Any and all information you can offer is welcome, even if it may seem unimportant. A few questions: Does Sawyer (or Greer) make any sort of noise whilst breathing? Are either of them notably dehydrated? Are they kept warm at all times (do you have something that is keeping them warm)? What is the temperature of the room they are kept in?

Have you been offering any solid foods for these two to sample? They are nearing three weeks of age now and should be starting to show an interest in solids.

Sorry to hear about this.

If it were me caring for these guys, I would definitely switch Sawyer to a syringe. I have raised more than a few infants that behaved exactly like your description of him (this behaviour is often associated with infants that are malnourished), and modifying the feeding technique was the solution. After regaining their weight, this behaviour tends to subside. With Sawyer's propensity for power-sucking and frantic feeding behaviour, coupled with the utilisation of a paint brush, I believe it is inevitable that he will be swallowing a lot of air during feedings. How comfortable are you with learning how to syringe-feed? I can provide some instructions and tips if you are confident enough, since syringe-feeding does seem to be warranted for getting him in shape based on your description. I would also suggest resuming night feedings for Sawyer until he is where he should be right now.

Greer's weight should not be fluctuating. There should be a steady daily weight gain, which makes me believe he would benefit from a switch over to a syringe as well. How much are you currently feeding these two during their mealtimes, and what do their tummies look/feel like after a feeding? I need to do some trouble-shooting. Any and all information you can offer is welcome, even if it may seem unimportant. A few questions: Does Sawyer (or Greer) make any sort of noise whilst breathing? Are either of them notably dehydrated? Are they kept warm at all times (do you have something that is keeping them warm)? What is the temperature of the room they are kept in?

Have you been offering any solid foods for these two to sample? They are nearing three weeks of age now and should be starting to show an interest in solids.

I was worried with their weights fluctuating and Sawyer's beginning to stall or drop that the new food would cause diarrhea and would make it worse? I was going to until the weight issues became very apparent it wasn't just going to resolve itself with more feedings and time with a routine. I can definitely begin doing so though if you don't think it will upset their tummies.

I'm comfortable learning to syringe feed. My syringe is a 2ml syringe, I don't have anything smaller. How much, how often, and I'll definitely resume night feedings again.

I do have anot her question. I read online some people use baby cereal to thicken formula so the babies will learn to lick out of a dish a little easier. I bought Gerber rice cereal (it was $3 and the store was closing so I was thinking worse case scenerio, at least I have it if I can use it or need it, I just wanted to run that idea past you guys).
My worry with this is the potential upset tummies and the fact that this baby rice will take room in their tummies when they need more formula. I have it if I can use it or if you think it's a good idea or an okay idea but I really wanted to ask.

I feed both babies again in 11 minutes. We'll see what their weights are soon. I won't use the cereal until I get the green light from you.

Their tummies feel very full and slightly firm. They do not have diarrhea/constipation. I don't think they're dehydrated (skin snaps back quick) but the last 2 feedings they haven't peed as much as normal and I thought that was because they were beginning to "go" by themselves but I always try just incase they aren't. They are kept in a secure cage with a heating pad under half the cage. The room has a space heater in it which is made to keep the room at 73-76 degrees however occasionally it goes a few degrees higher before kicking off (the highest was 80 and as soon as it hit 80 it turned off. It's on a timer and set at for a certain temp). I thought 73-76 was warm but not hot and not cold. They chirp at me when it's close to feeding time and it's only around feedings that they chirp at me. After feedings, they sometimes sneeze (formula gets on their cheeks and upper lip and while trying to clean themselves, they sometimes push it around their face and I think sometimes by their nose). I haven't heard any clicking noises in their breathing, nor any coughs/wheezes.

They are active, when feeding time comes and I take one out, the other one in the cage likes to climb on the door.
They're still growing because the tails are getting longer and they're developing (thinking they're male, almost completely positive they're male).
The last 2 days their feeding schedule was disrupted (it's been storming here and the power has gone out a few times so I spent the day at my mom's and came home and bought a car bottle warmer for when it's feeding time and I can't heat up the water in the microwave/stove.

Thank you for your advice!!

Forgot to add they eat every 4 hours (5 feedings a day) and eat around 1ml and 0.85ml. Sawyer occasionally won't finish it all (the amount includes drips but I weigh them and they usually get most of it.)

EDIT: Just fed the babies and Sawyer is 22.22g and Greer is 25.6g. Both peed quite a bit. Both tummies were very full and firm feeling. I'm beginning to hear little tiny clicks if I put Sawyer up to my ear. It wasn't there before I fed him, I checked both. I think I may have fed to much. I pulled the paintbrush away slowly and much before it was "empty" (their was still quite a bit on there) and Sawyer powersucked twice still. I tried filling up my syringe just a little bit and attempting to feed Sawyer like that. He wouldn't even let me put it in his mouth before squawking loud.

I'm so worried I did something wrong :/

Last edited:
I was worried with their weights fluctuating and Sawyer's beginning to stall or drop that the new food would cause diarrhea and would make it worse? I was going to until the weight issues became very apparent it wasn't just going to resolve itself with more feedings and time with a routine. I can definitely begin doing so though if you don't think it will upset their tummies.

I'm comfortable learning to syringe feed. My syringe is a 2ml syringe, I don't have anything smaller. How much, how often, and I'll definitely resume night feedings again.

I do have anot her question. I read online some people use baby cereal to thicken formula so the babies will learn to lick out of a dish a little easier. I bought Gerber rice cereal (it was $3 and the store was closing so I was thinking worse case scenerio, at least I have it if I can use it or need it, I just wanted to run that idea past you guys).
My worry with this is the potential upset tummies and the fact that this baby rice will take room in their tummies when they need more formula. I have it if I can use it or if you think it's a good idea or an okay idea but I really wanted to ask.

I feed both babies again in 11 minutes. We'll see what their weights are soon. I won't use the cereal until I get the green light from you.

Their tummies feel very full and slightly firm. They do not have diarrhea/constipation. I don't think they're dehydrated (skin snaps back quick) but the last 2 feedings they haven't peed as much as normal and I thought that was because they were beginning to "go" by themselves but I always try just incase they aren't. They are kept in a secure cage with a heating pad under half the cage. The room has a space heater in it which is made to keep the room at 73-76 degrees however occasionally it goes a few degrees higher before kicking off (the highest was 80 and as soon as it hit 80 it turned off. It's on a timer and set at for a certain temp). I thought 73-76 was warm but not hot and not cold. They chirp at me when it's close to feeding time and it's only around feedings that they chirp at me. After feedings, they sometimes sneeze (formula gets on their cheeks and upper lip and while trying to clean themselves, they sometimes push it around their face and I think sometimes by their nose). I haven't heard any clicking noises in their breathing, nor any coughs/wheezes.

They are active, when feeding time comes and I take one out, the other one in the cage likes to climb on the door.
They're still growing because the tails are getting longer and they're developing (thinking they're male, almost completely positive they're male).
The last 2 days their feeding schedule was disrupted (it's been storming here and the power has gone out a few times so I spent the day at my mom's and came home and bought a car bottle warmer for when it's feeding time and I can't heat up the water in the microwave/stove.

Thank you for your advice!!

Thank you for the information about your babies. There are quite a few things to be said here. Where to begin...

I'll start with answering your question about mixing cereal with their formula. Under normal circumstances, this is an acceptable way to transition infants from syringe/bottle/brush feeding to eating from a dish. There are other equally acceptable ways to do this, but none of them are a necessity. Personally, I have never found the need for it, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it this way.

However...

Your two babies are not stable enough health and weight-wise to begin adding cereal to their formula, since this is cutting out a portion of their formula intake. They need as much of the nutrients as they can possibly get from the formula with their current health condition. Hold off mixing this until you get their weight and health under control, then you may begin adding if you desire.

Good to hear they are kept warm. I wasn't certain if perhaps there were times they may have been colder than they should (e.g., at night) since infants are not able to digest formula if they are cold. I can cross that possibility off my trouble-shooting list...

Jumping back over to their diet, please do give them the option of sampling solid foods at this age. It is perfectly natural for them to do so and it will not upset their stomachs. What is troubling their tummies right now appears to be air ingestion, and this will not be an issue when consuming solids. That said, if they had diarrhea or constipation right now (a sign of digestion issues), I would definitely say hold off the solids until resolved. But their stools are normal and their digestion appears to be normal, so there shouldn't be any issue.

Regarding their tummies, they should not be overly round or firm in the slightest. The fact that Sawyer doesn't always finish his formula is indicative of stomach discomfort and/or possible pain. If their tummies appear round, very full, and firm without them having eaten the full amount of formula that they should be getting for their weight, you can be certain that there is air ingestion. In which case, a switch over to syringe-feeding should quickly remedy the problem. You are going to need to closely monitor their tummies during mealtimes and stop feeding before they get firm, even if they haven't finished all of their formula. It may sound counter-intuitive, but overfeeding is far too dangerous and can cause death. I cannot stress the importance of this enough! I know many people who have lost babies due to overfeeding, so do be careful.

Please keep a watchful eye on them for possible signs of dehydration. This needs to be promptly acted upon the moment it presents itself. Check their napes frequently throughout the day and night.

You will need a 1 ml syringe for hand-feeding these babies, as the larger syringes are harder to control and thus easier to cause formula aspiration. Is there a chance you could possibly get one from your veterinarian? (I get my 1 ml syringes through my vet)

Can you give me their current weights so that I can calculate how much formula they need? Personally, I would try to spread their feedings out a little more. If there is a chance you could perhaps feed four times a day and continue night feedings, I think this would be easier on their tummies.

Let me know their weights, and I'll write up some instructions for you to get started with syringe-feeding. Feel free to update as often as you can. Even a short write-up after their feedings might prove to be useful info for me.

Forgot to add they eat every 4 hours (5 feedings a day) and eat around 1ml and 0.85ml. Sawyer occasionally won't finish it all (the amount includes drips but I weigh them and they usually get most of it.)

EDIT: Just fed the babies and Sawyer is 22.22g and Greer is 25.6g. Both peed quite a bit. Both tummies were very full and firm feeling. I'm beginning to hear little tiny clicks if I put Sawyer up to my ear. It wasn't there before I fed him, I checked both. I think I may have fed to much. I pulled the paintbrush away slowly and much before it was "empty" (their was still quite a bit on there) and Sawyer powersucked twice still. I tried filling up my syringe just a little bit and attempting to feed Sawyer like that. He wouldn't even let me put it in his mouth before squawking loud.

I'm so worried I did something wrong :/

Clicking will often manifest after formula aspiration and requires prompt medical treatment. Amoxicillin works well if you start them early. I'm beginning to see several symptoms of overfeeding, which has me moderately concerned. You are going to need to do some cutting back on their formula intake, even if they are not eating it all.

Sawyer's reaction to the syringe is normal for a baby's first time of that age. Most babies will protest when the syringe is first presented to them, but will come to accept it within a few days.

Thank you for the information about your babies. There are quite a few things to be said here. Where to begin...

I'll start with answering your question about mixing cereal with their formula. Under normal circumstances, this is an acceptable way to transition infants from syringe/bottle/brush feeding to eating from a dish. There are other equally acceptable ways to do this, but none of them are a necessity. Personally, I have never found the need for it, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it this way.

However...

Your two babies are not stable enough health and weight-wise to begin adding cereal to their formula, since this is cutting out a portion of their formula intake. They need as much of the nutrients as they can possibly get from the formula with their current health condition. Hold off mixing this until you get their weight and health under control, then you may begin adding if you desire.

Good to hear they are kept warm. I wasn't certain if perhaps there were times they may have been colder than they should (e.g., at night) since infants are not able to digest formula if they are cold. I can cross that possibility off my trouble-shooting list...

Jumping back over to their diet, please do give them the option of sampling solid foods at this age. It is perfectly natural for them to do so and it will not upset their stomachs. What is troubling their tummies right now appears to be air ingestion, and this will not be an issue when consuming solids. That said, if they had diarrhea or constipation right now (a sign of digestion issues), I would definitely say hold off the solids until resolved. But their stools are normal and their digestion appears to be normal, so there shouldn't be any issue.

Regarding their tummies, they should not be overly round or firm in the slightest. The fact that Sawyer doesn't always finish his formula is indicative of stomach discomfort and/or possible pain. If their tummies appear round, very full, and firm without them having eaten the full amount of formula that they should be getting for their weight, you can be certain that there is air ingestion. In which case, a switch over to syringe-feeding should quickly remedy the problem. You are going to need to closely monitor their tummies during mealtimes and stop feeding before they get firm, even if they haven't finished all of their formula. It may sound counter-intuitive, but overfeeding is far too dangerous and can cause death. I cannot stress the importance of this enough! I know many people who have lost babies due to overfeeding, so do be careful.

Please keep a watchful eye on them for possible signs of dehydration. This needs to be promptly acted upon the moment it presents itself. Check their napes frequently throughout the day and night.

You will need a 1 ml syringe for hand-feeding these babies, as the larger syringes are harder to control and thus easier to cause formula aspiration. Is there a chance you could possibly get one from your veterinarian? (I get my 1 ml syringes through my vet)

Can you give me their current weights so that I can calculate how much formula they need? Personally, I would try to spread their feedings out a little more. If there is a chance you could perhaps feed four times a day and continue night feedings, I think this would be easier on their tummies.

Let me know their weights, and I'll write up some instructions for you to get started with syringe-feeding. Feel free to update as often as you can. Even a short write-up after their feedings might prove to be useful info for me.

Sawyer is 22.22g and Greer is 25.6g. Thank you so much again, I can't thank you enough! I'll keep you in the loop after every feeding, thank you again!!

Sawyer is 22.22g and Greer is 25.6g. Thank you so much again, I can't thank you enough! I'll keep you in the loop after every feeding, thank you again!!

That would be best, do keep me posted.

Here is what they need:

Sawyer: Either 0.55 mls eight times, 0.63 mls seven times, 0.74 mls six times, or 0.88 mls five times

Greer: Either 0.65 mls eight times, 0.75 mls seven times, 0.87 mls six times, or 1.05 mls five times

You are going to need to go by their tummies more than anything else. Stop feeding before they are noticeably round and/or firm, even if they haven't had their full meal.

That would be best, do keep me posted.

Here is what they need:

Sawyer: Either 0.55 mls eight times, 0.63 mls seven times, 0.74 mls six times, or 0.88 mls five times

Greer: Either 0.65 mls eight times, 0.75 mls seven times, 0.87 mls six times, or 1.05 mls five times

You are going to need to go by their tummies more than anything else. Stop feeding before they are noticeably round and/or firm, even if they haven't had their full meal.

Gotcha, do I feed them at night? How often should I offer some soft solids? With every feedings? Before or after eating?
Sorry, just trying to tweak what I'm doing. How far apart should I spread feedings?

Gotcha, do I feed them at night? How often should I offer some soft solids? With every feedings? Before or after eating?
Sorry, just trying to tweak what I'm doing. How far apart should I spread feedings?

Yes, feed them through the night for the time being (more important with Sawyer). Have solid foods available for them to sample whenever they are awake. Not necessarily during feedings, but when they are up for playtime or exploring. As for spreading the feedings apart, I'm thinking adding an extra hour between feedings would be a good start. I wouldn't do more than that right now.

Do you know if you'll be able to get your hands on a 1 ml syringe? You are also definitely going to need to jump on Sawyer's clicking with medical treatment asap.

Yes, feed them through the night for the time being (more important with Sawyer). Have solid foods available for them to sample whenever they are awake. Not necessarily during feedings, but when they are up for playtime or exploring. As for spreading the feedings apart, I'm thinking adding an extra hour between feedings would be a good start. I wouldn't do more than that right now.

Do you know if you'll be able to get your hands on a 1 ml syringe? You are also definitely going to need to jump on Sawyer's clicking with medical treatment asap.

I was just in there with some cooked carrot pieces and it was really cute to see them try mouthing it, had me excited that Sawyer was trying to "nom" it.
I'm not sure about the 1ml syringe but I am definitely going to call my vet and ask first.
With the clicking, how urgently do I need to take him to the vet? Like now or wait a day or two or how long do I have? (Boyfriend gets paid weekly on fridays, I get paid biweekly so I'm just trying to figure that out ahead). Can a vet prescribe med for a nearly 20 day old baby? She treated our pet mice years ago (before I had rats) but, yeah. Worried, so very worried.

So every 5 hours, that's about 4 times a day then roughly right? Just under 5 feedings if I'm doing this around the clock?

I was just in there with some cooked carrot pieces and it was really cute to see them try mouthing it, had me excited that Sawyer was trying to "nom" it.
I'm not sure about the 1ml syringe but I am definitely going to call my vet and ask first.
With the clicking, how urgently do I need to take him to the vet? Like now or wait a day or two or how long do I have? (Boyfriend gets paid weekly on fridays, I get paid biweekly so I'm just trying to figure that out ahead). Can a vet prescribe med for a nearly 20 day old baby? She treated our pet mice years ago (before I had rats) but, yeah. Worried, so very worried.

So every 5 hours, that's about 4 times a day then roughly right? Just under 5 feedings if I'm doing this around the clock?

The sooner he's treated, the better. I'm hoping your vet will prescribe the amoxicillin, as I have had great success with it on infants (they should give you some 1 ml syringes along with it). If you can't get him booked right away (namely, tomorrow or the day after), at least ask your vet if they can give you some 1 ml syringes that you can pick up.

If Sawyer continues to aspirate the formula, progression can be quite rapid and his growing need for medical treatment becomes dire. If it becomes too severe, his chances of survival may be slim even with medication. Until you can get him treated, take especial care to ensure he does not aspirate any more formula and clean his face frequently during feedings. Keep his nostrils clear at all times and wipe down his face after each time you remove the brush.

Yes, approximately four feedings a day and one night feeding. You can feed the amount needed for 5X (0.88 mls for Sawyer, 1.05 mls for Greer).

Last edited:
12am
Sawyer is 21.92g and Greer is 24.76g. Both babies peed and had previously pooped in their cage. Their tummies felt full so I stopped. Sawyer had about 0.7ml and Greer had about .85ml-.9ml. I love my little guys but I'm really concerned about their weights. Wouldn't the baby cereal keep them from sucking in air if they were licking it off my finger/small dish? Isn't the air taking the same room if not more room than what the baby cereal would take? I feel like everything was going so smoothly until the last 2.5 days and to make it worse, its calling for a huge stormwatch here.* More power outages. How can their weights drop so quickly? I know my heating pad works, I check it every time I feed and before I go to bed. Its just really frustrating, im so worried about them! Hopefully the weight drop is just them getting used to the 5 hour schedule. I don't know, I'm probably just trying to find a reason to not panic. We'll see how the next few feedings go.
Thank you again for your help!

The sooner he's treated, the better. I'm hoping your vet will prescribe the amoxicillin, as I have had great success with it on infants (they should give you some 1 ml syringes along with it). If you can't get him booked right away (namely, tomorrow or the day after), at least ask your vet if they can give you some 1 ml syringes that you can pick up.

If Sawyer continues to aspirate the formula, progression can be quite rapid and his growing need for medical treatment becomes dire. If it becomes too severe, his chances of survival may be slim even with medication. Until you can get him treated, take especial care to ensure he does not aspirate any more formula and clean his face frequently during feedings. Keep his nostrils clear at all times and wipe down his face after each time you remove the brush.

Yes, approximately four feedings a day and one night feeding. You can feed the amount needed for 5X (0.88 mls for Sawyer, 1.05 mls for Greer).

I feel really, really low right now. I didn't take into account room for the air they suck in and just tried to feed them until they didn't want anymore which has done more damage than any good.

Could ceasing to feed before their tummies are so firm (this last feeding I stopped when they were still...not sure what worse to use here...squishy? No..soft? Well, anyways I think you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe hopwfully), could that be the reason they dropped so much between. The last feeding and this one?

Gosh I feel so terrible, they're so precious, I didn't mean to hurt them. :/

Last edited:
5am
Sawyer is 21.8g and Greer is 24.64g. Sawyer had .75ml of food. Greer had about .5ml-.6ml (I did the night feedings with both so he was still kinda full. Tummies are still "squishy".) Both eliminated normal.

5am
Sawyer is 21.8g and Greer is 24.64g. Sawyer had .75ml of food. Greer had about .5ml-.6ml (I did the night feedings with both so he was still kinda full. Tummies are still "squishy".) Both eliminated normal.

Hang in there, don't give up. *hugs*

If you are going to offer them some cereal, you can try letting them lick it off your fingers in between their actual feedings. I think this would be good for them, and you can even mix a little bit of formula in it to add more nutrients. Also offer them some crushed rodent blocks to nibble on any time they are awake. As well, you can try seeing how they are with lapping up formula from a dish (you can experiment with this by thickening the formula with the cereal between feedings). If you can transition them to dish-feeding, this would be immensely helpful for them and for you. Just make sure they do not accidentally aspirate the formula whilst they learn.

By the sounds of it, I would try feeding them less food more frequently. Increase it to 6X or even 7X (formula amount as previously outlined). You are doing the right thing by not feeding them until their tummies are firm. They can be round, but not firm or stiff. However, since they are not eating as much you will need to bump up the number of feedings. And I will reiterate that the amount of formula you are giving them should be based almost exclusively on how their tummies feel (use the amounts as a mere guideline right now). If they can take more formula than they need safely, then do so. By feeding them more frequently, I think you may be able to bump up their food intake a little.

Not mentioned earlier, but always make sure their formula is the correct temperature. Some babies are extremely fussy and will refuse to eat if it is the slightest bit cold, even if they are still hungry.

You really do need to get them on a syringe asap. Even if you have to ask people you know if they have a 1 ml syringe you can use. I wouldn't waste a day.

Last edited:
10am
Sawyer is 21.45g and Greer is 24.61g. Sawyer had .68ml (cereal was a hit with him) and Greer had .97ml* (was not a fan of the cereal). Tummies were getting full so I stopped. My two babies are still dropping. I'm switching back to every 4 hours around the clock (6 feedings) along with letting them sample solids and baby cereal/formula mix in between feedings if their tummies aren't super super full. Less food, more frequently sounds like the way to go, right?
I'll be getting a 1ml syringe later today.

Hang in there, don't give up. *hugs*

If you are going to offer them some cereal, you can try letting them lick it off your fingers in between their actual feedings. I think this would be good for them, and you can even mix a little bit of formula in it to add more nutrients. Also offer them some crushed rodent blocks to nibble on any time they are awake. As well, you can try seeing how they are with lapping up formula from a dish (you can experiment with this by thickening the formula with the cereal between feedings). If you can transition them to dish-feeding, this would be immensely helpful for them and for you. Just make sure they do not accidentally aspirate the formula whilst they learn.

By the sounds of it, I would try feeding them less food more frequently. Increase it to 6X or even 7X (formula amount as previously outlined). You are doing the right thing by not feeding them until their tummies are firm. They can be round, but not firm or stiff. However, since they are not eating as much you will need to bump up the number of feedings. And I will reiterate that the amount of formula you are giving them should be based almost exclusively on how their tummies feel (use the amounts as a mere guideline right now). If they can take more formula than they need safely, then do so. By feeding them more frequently, I think you may be able to bump up their food intake a little.

Not mentioned earlier, but always make sure their formula is the correct temperature. Some babies are extremely fussy and will refuse to eat if it is the slightest bit cold, even if they are still hungry.

You really do need to get them on a syringe asap. Even if you have to ask people you know if they have a 1 ml syringe you can use. I wouldn't waste a day.

*hugs* thank you!
Currently, their tummies feel alot better. Sawyer has the biggest ears! I was sure he was a dumbo and Greer was a top ear and my last two boys were both dumbo eared but oh my gosh as babies their ears look HUGE compared to their head! I'll see if I can get a picture of them later, Greer looks like his ears fit hit head but Sawyer has these giant ears that just melt me. Hopefully that's normal...oh gosh, is that normal??

10am
Sawyer is 21.45g and Greer is 24.61g. Sawyer had .68ml (cereal was a hit with him) and Greer had .97ml* (was not a fan of the cereal). Tummies were getting full so I stopped. My two babies are still dropping. I'm switching back to every 4 hours around the clock (6 feedings) along with letting them sample solids and baby cereal/formula mix in between feedings if their tummies aren't super super full. Less food, more frequently sounds like the way to go, right?
I'll be getting a 1ml syringe later today.

Good idea. Let me know as soon as you get their syringe so I can help you get started with them. Try and get as much formula in them as you can without making their tummies firm. Since Sawyer likes the cereal, I would offer it to him whenever he is willing to take it, and see how he is with learning to take it from a dish. If, however, it starts to affect how much formula he takes during feedings, you will want to cut back a bit. How are their appetites, overall, and their stools? Are you still checking for dehydration?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back