Random thoughts

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided they need to pay the cost of any repairs from now on. I think they will thank me in the long run.
Thanks Bron and unwaryince.

I want a day off where I can sleep. And not go to the other job.
This was a stupid idea.

jorats said:
I've decided they need to pay the cost of any repairs from now on. I think they will thank me in the long run.
Thanks Bron and unwaryince.

I'm a mean Mum and we never brougt our kids a car, ages son 22 daughers 19, 17. We did help with a loan for my sons car and he paid us back very quickly to the point that I said 'you don't have to pay us back that quick' :lol:
Oldest daughter only just has her learner license, she wasn't interested in getting it till now.

Only have our 17 year daughter (she has her full license) at home now and if she wants to have one of cars for a night out with friends she has to help out with petrol. Last Saturday all her friends gave $5 each for petrol to go to town. (We live in a small town 1/2 hour drive from the main city near us) They are all aware of the price of petrol now that it is over $2 :rant:

Our other rules were: You get a ticket, you paid the fine (it never had to be enforced thankfully)
If you have a accident you have to pay the excess on the insurance, If I remember right it's about $1000 for under 25's (thankfully that has never had to be enforced either)

Just for the record, I never bought my boys a car either. :wink2:
Last year, it was time for us to buy a new car so the old CRV went to my oldest because he was the first to get his license. My sister and her husband bought a new car in February and decided to give their old car to my youngest.
My rules tickets...you get a ticket = no more car! :whip:

The funny thing is my father once bribed me to go to U of Guelph using the Nissan Pathfinder. Tried to I mean. I chose Queen's anyway. For some reason the idea of paying for a gas eating machine and maintaining it has zero appeal for me.

Lisa bought her own car, she's 20, and pays for everything car related. And on the other end of the spectrum is my neighbour who's parents bought her her car and cover the costs.

It's interesting seeing how different families handle the different personalities. :) In my boyfriend's case the parents just didn't want six drivers and only one car.

jorats said:
All the kids have their own cars. Ya right. :?

I knew it! My parents never even offered to buy me a car! They pretended that paying for my university education, paying for my driving insurance and giving me free room and board was enough. I wish I'd known then how mean they were really being to me by depriving me of my own car! :wink: In fact, now that I think about it, my parents must have hated me - they wouldn't even buy me a video game console! I actually had to buy one with my own money! :lol2: I get choked up just thinking about it! :cry4:

Shelley said:
2 and a half more hours... Sitting alone in the dark right now...

On a more positive note... well... not really positive, but the new Indiana Jones movie was not very good. I think the script writer needs a new job :whip: And... Harrison Ford looks like my crazy uncle now. I'm scared.

I agree. It's a bad movie. At times, it almost seemed like a parody of itself.

The script writer was George Lucas and some other guy, I believe. After writing such bad dialogue for the Star Wars movies from 1999 on, you'd think someone would have the courage to tell George Lucas that script writing really isn't his forte. :roll:

What surprises me most is that, in the 19 years since the last Indiana Jones movie, this was the best script that a bunch of normally very talented people (Lucas, Spielberg, Ford) could come up with.

*raises hand nerbously*

My parents bought my car. Of course... it cost 300 dollars and was from '93. Now that it's junked (rightfully so) I am saving up to go half on a car, and half only because my parents feel guilty as they bought all three of my older sisters newer cars when they were about my age, and BOTH of my younger sisters have better cars than the Corsica.

Your parents buying you a car isn't anything to be ashamed of! :p

Though I do recall in grade 10, a girl beside me told me quite proudly that her father bought her a Porsche. We were only just turning 16. She couldn't even drive it alone yet. She wasn't viewed as "cool" for that, that was bizarre for even us teenagers.

KMG365 said:
... paying for my university education, paying for my driving insurance and giving me free room and board was enough...

Hey, at least they gave you free room and board. Mine had me paying $350 per month. I'm pretty sure my parents hated as they gave my brother a lot of thinges (skidoo, house, ...). Needless to say, they know that I hate them and will never visit them ever again. I felt quite proud to tell them that I'll be happy when they pass on.

^ My sister complains that my parents treat me differently than her by paying for my rent and tuition. What she doesn't appreciate is, at over 20 years of age living at home and going to a school that charges an insane amount of money per course that she fails over and over (high school), they're doing the exact same thing for her.

In her case, I'm not sure, she does have the brains...shockingly. She has issues, that's for sure. I don't think my parents would mind so much if she hauled her butt. Such as, helping around the house for example, or *gasp* get a job. At her age it's pretty weird she's still in the stage she is. There's an unusual path in front of her, that's for sure.

Ours was soooo hot. I think a few people fainted. : x The year after they apparently moved it to a large white tent outside on the field - very wise!

jorats said:
Is it just me or are high school grad ceremonies ridiculously long?
Mine wasn't that bad but Mike fell asleep.
My college ceremony thats going to be long.

Say Bronwyn, did you graffiti your user name on a building? lol. I was riding on the subway between Dundas West station and Keele station and noticed "BRONWYN" in big red letters as the subway train was through a certain area in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back