Bonding Tips

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemmy

Hello everyone. I just got four new girls last week and they are pet store rats unfortunately so they're very skittish and nervous around humans. They are still young (I'm guessing 4-6 weeks). Everyday I've been sitting by the cage with the door open talking to them and letting them sniff me, as well as giving them treats. I've also been putting some baby food on my hands so that they have to stay put and not run away with it like a normal treat. They are getting more comfortable approaching me and taking food from me but everytime I make even the slightest movement they bolt. My goal is to eventually get them comfortable enough to where I can pet them without them running away, and eventually be able to handle them so I can let them free roam. It's only been a week, I know I need to just have patience but does anyone have any other tips for getting them to trust me in the meantime? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back