Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will find all that out when we get her, I would assume that it took a while and yes Lilspaz, please do ..I'm onlyused to neuters and tumor removals which they recover from quickly.

the first thing they have to do is detach the eye....all those little muscles and bits have to be carefully snipped, which can take awhile. Then they remove the eyeball itself, then they have to suture up all those little bits that I assume providing blood to the eye ball. If there's infection or an easily removeable tumour then that's when this takes place. To close Dr Munn glues it all shut and I have never had an issue yet, except with Eli (but there was so much bacteria in his eye socket that had been there for months, but even then it cleared up quickly).

If your vet uses sutures then she will look a bit franken-ratty...if he glues its very much easier to look at. :) Pain meds are a big must, and antibiotics as this is an invasive surgery. The fact that your vet didn't call and tell you it was an inoperable tumor is awesome!!! She should be just fine once the anesthetic wears off, and she's feeling more herself. Do you need pics of afters?

lilspaz68 said:
Enucleations knock them back a bit. Do you want me to tell you what Dr Munn does so you can understand it all?

I have to say that I love Dr. Munn.... despite the fact that we have never met! That is one AWESOME rat doctor! Even my docs at Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center know who Dr. Munn is... and we are in Virginia!

Yep... I just LOVE a doctor who knows about rats. Feel free to let Dr. Munn know about the out of country fan! :bunnydance:

I'll let you know whatever details I get later. I'm pretty sure her eye was just loaded with gunk and abscess ick.

Pictures would be great:)

Oh, and I have metacam and baytril here.

How long should I keep her on the baytril for? and right now she is 0.1 and she weighes 300 grams ..baytril is 50 ml/mg

lilspaz68 said:
I told him he has fans all over the world and he ducked his head, smiled and acted embarrassed LOLOLOL

Really?? Virginia?

Born and raised in California.... moved to Germany for 16 years.... moved back to the United States.... settled in Virginia because I wanted to live in the nation's capital. Can't afford to live in downtown Washington, DC so I settled in Virginia.

LOL.... Dr. Munn needs to accept his popularity! He has every right to have fans with everything he is able to do with rats. Of COURSE he is going to have a following!!!! :cheeky:

Lilspaz: Pictures :stickpoke:

Just got another update and a picture sent top my phone ..she is now eating ensure out of a sryinge :)

YAY!! :joy:

Lady night of

Ladyeyecloseupdayofsurgeryfeb12.jpg

Ladydayofsurgery2feb12.jpg

Tepeu night of
Tepeuseyenightofremovalsidefeb18.jpg

Tepeuseyenightofremovalfeb18.jpg

Eli night of
Elinightofenucjun8.jpg

They are so cute! one eye or not! ..I'm curious to weather or not little miss is glued or stiched ..sadly im at work & I won't see her till 11 :( ..but I'll ask my bf ..he is picking her up in an hour :)

Ratty Momma said:
They are so cute! one eye or not! ..I'm curious to weather or not little miss is glued or stiched ..sadly im at work & I won't see her till 11 :( ..but I'll ask my bf ..he is picking her up in an hour :)

You will know :) I can look for pics of other people's rats with stitches?

Renee - I don't know how you deal with all of theis. You are so strong!! :bow: I just want to tgive Little Miss a big hug. Good luck with all of this> :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
Ratty Momma said:

You will know :) I can look for pics of other people's rats with stitches?

Sure! I'd like to see before I actually see her ..wheatever she has, has to look better than her eye did last night:

& Thank you Evelyn, it's been a very hard week ..but the critters keep me going.

rattytat said:
Renee - I don't know how you deal with all of theis. You are so strong!! :bow: I just want to tgive Little Miss a big hug. Good luck with all of this> :heart:

She will have to come visit once she is healed :)

Alright, she's home.

My BF was talking to Dr. D. ..the abcess was under her eye, and right down the side of her face/nose. She is stitched back togeather ..stitches are coming out June 21. She is happy as can be, my bf said as soon as she got home she was face first into the ensure bowel :)

Latest posts

Back