Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your vet within easy reach?

If so, maybe try and solve the scratching issue and see how it is without another antibiotic.

To me, she looks like she is going to heal, it is just going to take a while like it says in that article.

Good luck with the scratching issue! That's going to be a tough one to solve.
I wonder if something like an eye patch would work... only problem is that it needs some air to heal, and an eye patch that would work would have to be tight enough that little clawed toes cant get into.

Home!

He scooped gunky stuff out of her eye socket (the smell was disgusting)..we wrapped vet bandage around her foot and we have Clavamox.

The Clavamox is 62.5 mg/ml her weight is 300 grams which = 0.07?

He told us to continue flushing.

She is now put in a hospital cage along with Toby since he wont pick at her foot bandage or eye, and they have fleece blankets for bedding.

ETA: I was told to keep the Clavamox in the fridge and it only lasts 10 days?

ETA x2: Do I stop the baytril now? and continue metacam?

Can anyone help me with the clavamox (read above) ..

The gunky stuff was the same stuff that was scooped out of her eye when she had an eye :(

Can't help with the Clavamox, but if she were a pre-teen/teenage girl, she'd be the coolest girl in school with that florescent foot bandage :giggle:
Oh, by the way, my crew have been officially accepted as patients of Dr. D :dance:

Good Luck, Little Miss. Heal quickly :hugs:

rattytat said:
Can't help with the Clavamox, but if she were a pre-teen/teenage girl, she'd be the coolest girl in school with that florescent foot bandage :giggle:
Oh, by the way, my crew have been officially accepted as patients of Dr. D :dance:

Good Luck, Little Miss. Heal quickly :hugs:

haha I know, shes in high fashion :p

Thats great! hopefully you won't need to see him anytime soon, but once you do, let me know what you think :)

Eye pictures ..very graphic right now since her eye did just get scooped & flushed ..poor girl is really tired.

[spoiler:3oykr3ar]
IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg
[/spoiler:3oykr3ar]

Not so graphic ..
Still running around
IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8284.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8288.jpg

I really hope this starts to improve ...

I wish I never had brought her down that day and got the infected scar tissue cut off :wallbang: ..I mentioned it to Dr. D. after and he agreed that he should have not done that ..we all gotta learn somehow ..

I still need advice with the Clavamox (see a few posts up) :stickpoke:

I don't know if you *should* continue it, but baytril and clavamox is often used in combination together. Her dose is at the reccomended amount on ratguide.

Is the Clavamox in the pale white bottle in a box? Does it smell a bit like banana? The 62.5 sounds like what I have. The dose depends on what your vet recommends as an amount per pound. I've been told either .14 or .16 ml per pound, twice a day. Your Little Miss is 300/454 lb, so her dose should be 300/454 * .15 ml = .1 ml twice a day.

SQ or lilspaz might want to double-check for me.

yes it's the one in the box that smells like banana ..my vet told me 0.1 twice a day ..this is his first time giving it to a rat so he looked at the rat guide for dosing information. Me and Lilspaz worked is out to be 0.07 twice a day.

She is about the same weight as my Yoshi and she was given 0.07cc's. I used clavamox in combo with baytril with Delilah and Yoshi, so it is safe, but you should check with your vet just in case he had a different idea.

Also, my vet told me that the clavamox was only good for 7 days once water is added to it. This is only because the company can't guarantee that the concentration remain the same after that many days, so even though he said 10 days, I don't think it matters.

Alright!

So 0.07 it is!

He told me to give baytril with it so I'll do that ..I was just double checking.

Also is it okay to give metacam with it? I forgot to ask him!

I gave her metacam this am around 7 ..since she has gotten her eye picked at today at5 and the badage around her foot ..she has been sleeping most of the evening ..I feel so bad ..

I justgave her a half a dose of metacam ..she is eating hard blocks and ensure so she's feeling okay.

Little Miss is obviously not ready to throw in the towel yet, so keep at her! Her eye is probably itchy because of the infection. Once that gets under control, she should be able to leave it alone.
A word of caution to check her foot on a daily basis - if the wrap is too tight it can cut off the circulation. And we certainly don't want to go there!!!!

I have to say, vet wrap comes in some seriously cool colors!

Sometimes infections, especially tricky ones, require a few 'gos' before they're taken care of - while I certainly don't like when a second visit has to be scheduled, I'm never entirely surprised - bacteria can find lovely little havens and nests and hide, so even when ALL of it seems to be gone, it really isn't, until the whole area heals up.

Latest posts

Back