Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks a bit redder than I would expect (inflamed?), and no scab. An open, moist area like that should have scabbed over, and then it peels off, like Lilith's did. Hmph. I would definitely keep her on pain meds so she's less likely to bother it.

I have started the flushing again today ..I stopped because everyone told me to stop. I have also started the metacam again today.

So hopefully we see some healing soon.

I have trimmed all her nails ..the only one that is a problem is her back leg on the same side as her eye hole. Rats groom and scratch ..she dose not pick at it on purpose ..but the minute she has a scratch she gets it. I'm taking her in Monday ..if it's no better were going to try something with that foot!

The swelling is gone down ..she is still on metacam ..but she still hooks her eye with her foot! :redhot: and it fills up with blood again!

im so fustrated

Get some vet wrap and try wrapping just around her chest/abdomen...not tight. Sometimes they feel they cannot bend and she might not think of getting her hind foot up.

lilspaz68 said:
Good luck!!!

I need more than luck ..

I just want her to be better, it's been over two weeks now :(

If I ever need another eye removed ..i will be having it glued!

This has been an expeience for both me and my vet .. gotta learn somehow I guess!

Her age is not helping in the healing process!

It's not too bad today, the reddness is gone, still a little swollen tho!

I think you might be worrying a bit more then necessary. I have a couple questions first if you wouldn't mind answering in regards to flushing the incision:
1. Is there a smell of infection?
2. Is there debris in the wound?
If the answer to both of these are no, then I would not continue flushing. The wound needs the time to heal. The more you flush, the more cells and healing tissue you flush away making it take longer for the wound to heal.

Since the healing tissue was cut away by the vet, the incision can no longer heal by first intention which is the goal with surgical procedures. The wound now will heal by second intention which is a quite fascinating, but lengthy process. Healing by second intention, simply put, is when a wound is open. The wound then needs to heal from the sides. This will usually leave a larger, more visible scar.

I advise you to read this link carefully and take the time to understand what is going on. I know not all people are science people, so just remember, the cell names are NOT important. What is important is that you understand what happens in each of the types of healing. I will be more then happy to answer any questions you have... but please be sure to read the link first. I honestly think that anyone having surgery done should understand the basics of the 2 types of healing.
Here is the link: http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/Curricul ... ealing.htm

All in all, stop worrying so much! Healing takes time, even when it is by first intention. This is going to be a long road, but as long as you have no infection/debris or pain it should be ok. Just keep an eye on it and go from there.

1. Is there a smell of infection? Yes
2. Is there debris in the wound? not that I can see.

I'm worried because
Her face is swollen
Smell
She keeps scratching at it when it starts to heal which makes it bleed and thenr ehealing has to start all over.

Ratty Momma said:
1. Is there a smell of infection? Yes
2. Is there debris in the wound? not that I can see.

I'm worried because
Her face is swollen
Smell
She keeps scratching at it when it starts to heal which makes it bleed and thenr ehealing has to start all over.

if there's infection, that is a different story.

It's not a strong smell, but it's a smell ..since I started flushing it the other day ..it look s a lot better. So I'm taking her back in to just get it checked ..no harm in that.

She is still on baytril.

I agree with Shelagh, if there is a smell of infection then that is different.

Has she been on antibiotics throughout this entire thing?
Any idea where the infection is? Do you think it is in the open wound or under the wound or even both?
Where is the inflammation? Is it localized around the wound or is it all over that side of her head?

Inflammation is not always a bad thing though, that is how the body heals. Local would be a good thing... I would be worried if she had no inflammation.

Are the last pictures that you posted pretty accurate to how it looks now?

crumbilina said:
I agree with Shelagh, if there is a smell of infection then that is different.

Has she been on antibiotics throughout this entire thing?
Any idea where the infection is? Do you think it is in the open wound or under the wound or even both?
Where is the inflammation? Is it localized around the wound or is it all over that side of her head?

Inflammation is not always a bad thing though, that is how the body heals. Local would be a good thing... I would be worried if she had no inflammation.

Are the last pictures that you posted pretty accurate to how it looks now?

Yes Baytril the whole way, and metacam for three days after ..and the last 3 days.
But she has been on baytril for ongoing resp infections on and off for the ;ast 8 months ..could she be too immuned to it for it to help this?

The inflammation was localized around the wound.

I think the infection is in te open wound ..

It looks the same expect a lot less red and the swelling has gone down.

to be honest I have no idea how to describe the smell ..nothing compared to when the abscess was under teh eye.

I'll take a pic when I get home fromo the vet ..as im at work now and as soon as I get off I have to go to the vet

The smell is very faint!

I think she would be okay if she could stop hooking her eye with her nails. I have trimmed them ..today at the vet we are going to try to find a way for her to not be able to pick at it. She don';;t pick on purpose ..but when she grooms she gets it.

lol I just pictured a little rattie cone to put around her neck...

Actually my vet told me that one time he had to make one for a hamster... and that he used a lot of tape. I wonder if it would work for a rat. Rats are much better at getting out of things then hamsters though.

Perhaps a different antibiotic would help? Maybe something to speak with him about? Something like clavamox?

Good luck! Even though it smells faintly, it seems like she is healing. Its going to take a while though!

We tried the cone thing, it never worked well haha!

I'll mention to him about a different med (he has never used a different med with us yet ..we only usually ever get baytril, zithro, doxy) ..even thoguh I think it's healing fine other than when she scratches it.

Latest posts

Back