Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ..anything else I should do?

I wasso busy with Oscar that her eye never looked that bad to me :wallbang:

Ratty Momma said:
Ok ..anything else I should do?

I wasso busy with Oscar that her eye never looked that bad to me :wallbang:

Yes Lilith's was glued closed. I think your vet cut away some of the scab which covers and protects a healing wound, and that has delayed the healing big time. Can you call your vet and see if there's some type of eye flush or wound flush you could use?

I do have flushing stuff here, its saline mixed with some stuff he gave me. He told me to flush it twice a day since it was left open ..but I stopped cause everyone said I should not need to flush ..

next time I get an eye removed I am telling him to use glue ..and I won't be cutting off any scar tissue ...this is all a learning experience for both me and my vet ..thanks for helping me through it.

Ratty Momma said:
I do have flushing stuff here, its saline mixed with some stuff he gave me. He told me to flush it twice a day since it was left open ..but I stopped cause everyone said I should not need to flush ..

Now that its opened up like that, I would just in case. Usually rats heal fast but she's not granulating well. how old is your lass again?

lilspaz68 said:
Ratty Momma said:

Now that its opened up like that, I would just in case. Usually rats heal fast but she's not granulating well. how old is your lass again?

Thats the thing I have no clue ..she was dropped off at pets unlimited cage and all ..I was going in to get rat food and seen her there on the floor in a cage behind the counter and the lady said she was just dropped off ..her owners no longer wanted her ..so she gave her to us. When we got her she looked very frail ..very old (but she was on seed food) and she had a resp infection.

I got her 9 months ago ..when we got her we thought and people here thought she looked "older" because of the way she looked ..

Here is her first when I got her:

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

It was shaved around her eye ..the fur is just starting to grow back ..the blue tint is just the fur coming in..not her skin.

My friend is a vet ast. at the clinic i go too, she made a rattie cone today for me to try ..but I don't think it's going to work.
She dose not scratch it on purpose ..but when scratches she always hits it ..if i could only find a way for her not to scratch it.

I'm going to give this cone a go, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also have saline and flushing stuff here which I am doing 3 + times a day now ..hopefully this helps ..and I have children's polysporin here ..would that help or just make it worse?

Rattus said:
aww poor little miss stop your itchin! mommys been through soo much already!
Too bad you couldnt get her a pirate eye patch :giggle:

haha that would be cute ..but i doubt she would keep that on either ..

my mind is gone from thinking ..ugh

I just had a better look at little miss ..her face is swollen a wee bit on that side..

I am trying to get a picture of it.

I gave her metacam this AM ..I don't have a whole lot left tho ..if I run out is it okay to use Infant Advil (200mg/5ml).

Pictures:

IMG_8002.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8006.jpg

IMG_8006.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

Note: her fur is yellowing due to the flushing solution.

I have given her metcam ..she is still on Baytril and I started flushing it again today .. I will be going down on monday to the vet. OH MY

If she were my rat, would gently flush it a couple of times a day...and leave it. But I would have her on metacam. It will also help with swelling.
She needs little rattie mittens to keep from scratching at it.

Latest posts

Back