Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no eye to hold it out so there will be an indent until it heals up...

Eli's pics after the surgery and when the infection came out...

Elijun12.jpg

Elisscabislifting2jun14eve.jpg

Eliscabalmostoffjun14eve.jpg

only thing that worries me is the yellow ..you can see it in the two spoiler pics ..shes on baytril + I clean her eye times a day with saline.

My BF is gone to the vet with her now just for him to have a look ..I just don't like the way it looks ..of course I'm at work ..

the BF just called ..they had to cut a piece of infected scar tissue off ..and they had to leave it open because it's too open to stich back up ..we have to flush it every few hours ..and we have to go back on Friday ..oh my nerves

I think it looks manageable - I've never had actual eye problems in rats, but I'm not spooked by eye photos. My gut feeling is that if they cut out the stuff that was causing the infection (I lovingly call it an infection turd/sausage).

I know you have no problem with taking care of flushing - She definitely has a fighter look about her!

I find when stuff is healing, especially if it gets wet, it looks kind of icky. If it's open to the air it will be able to dry out and scab over and heal. I don't know how clingy your bedding is - have you considered fleece for her recovery time? So nothing gets stuck to it?

Well the infected scar tissue has been removed, which is good ..leaving a hole ..since it's too much to stich up, leaving it open to dry is best ..but 3 flushings a day is required to pervent infection. I have boxo in her cage now, it don't flick up or anything ..its pretty compact and she is only in a cage with Bella until after all this is over with.

Oh my god ...I know my BF said it was pretty horrible looking ...but WOW!
[spoiler:agy6z1zn]
IMG_7538.jpg
[/spoiler:agy6z1zn]

But Dr. D said she's healing well ............. rck on Friday.

Looking a little better this morning ..she is feeling great, like she don't even notice its there ..I just want her to getbetter ..enought problems already.

I am confused. I didn't see infection and you said there was no smell? The yellowish stuff is just dried up serum/body fluids...It didn't need to be cut off, it would've fallen off on its own.

lilspaz68 said:
I am confused. I didn't see infection and you said there was no smell? The yellowish stuff is just dried up serum/body fluids...It didn't need to be cut off, it would've fallen off on its own.

I wouldn't flush it, I honestly keep my rat on baytril, fleece or bedding kept clean as possible and NO flushing...they have all healed well except Eli, but he had so much bacteria in the eye from the conditions (months worth) he lived in prior to arriving, it wasn't a fresh injury or condition.

Think of it this way, cut on finger, bandaid for day or two, then remove so air can finish the healing/drying process.

lilspaz68 said:
lilspaz68 said:

I wouldn't flush it, I honestly keep my rat on baytril, fleece or bedding kept clean as possible and NO flushing...they have all healed well except Eli, but he had so much bacteria in the eye from the conditions (months worth) he lived in prior to arriving, it wasn't a fresh injury or condition.

Think of it this way, cut on finger, bandaid for day or two, then remove so air can finish the healing/drying process.

I guess where this was my vets first eye removal on a rat he is being cautious ? ..I know for next time not to have it cut off.

I was thinking the same about flushing ..I am putting her on fleece right now ..she is still just in a cage with Bella.

She is on Baytril still

I guess he cut it off so it could be left open to finish the healing/drying process.

So no more flushing?

:wallbang:

IMG_7531.jpg

The black in this picture is whaat he cut off.

So the yellow is not to be of concern? its there again now.

I tend to agree with Lilspaz, I wouldn't flush it, that will make it goopy and sticky. Keep it open and clean so it can air dry. You will get yellow serum and crusty stuff, but that's OK. It's going to ooze a little because it's open tissue not covered by epidermis yet. If it's stinky or has lots of yellow and green thick exudate, then I'd be worried about infection. Usually though if it doesn't stink, you're pretty safe. I don't think there's too many infections that don't have an 'off' smell.

violet976 said:
& there went my nonexistent breakfast. :laugh4: So happy she is almost through this.

:giggle: Sorry!

I got a better picture of her eye today ..still looks gross, but no smells :)

[spoiler:2leaplzb]Yesterday
IMG_7538.jpg

Today
IMG_7596.jpg

She was pinning Oscar giving him a good groom :p

IMG_7598.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg
[/spoiler:2leaplzb]

Latest posts

Back