Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratty Momma said:
She was put on Clavamox 3 days ago ..read back through the thread.

She is currently on Clavamox, Baytril and Metacam.

Oh jeez... I have to learn to read. Ok, then I'm thinking the Clavamox could very well be causing her some discomfort. I now that in cats clavamox is pretty hard on the tummy. So maybe discuss this with your vet. I know that with our rats some of them can't take Baytril. We know immediately because their behaviours change.

jorats said:
Ratty Momma said:
She was put on Clavamox 3 days ago ..read back through the thread.

She is currently on Clavamox, Baytril and Metacam.

Oh jeez... I have to learn to read. Ok, then I'm thinking the Clavamox could very well be causing her some discomfort. I now that in cats clavamox is pretty hard on the tummy. So maybe discuss this with your vet. I know that with our rats some of them can't take Baytril. We know immediately because their behaviours change.

I read that Clavamox should be given with some yogurt ..so I'm trying to get her to eat some before and after.

Is there any other drug I could use? ..It really seems to be helping her eye *sigh*

Not at the same time as yogurt. Clavamox is rough on digestive flora, so you should supplement with a good quality probiotic. Make sure you give it at least 2 hours before/after meds.

Ratty Momma said:
What do you mean by good quality probioitic ?

My boys only got organic Soy yogurt from Whole Foods. You do not want to feed them any crap with a ton of preservatives in it. With the soy yogurt, you won't need to wait 2 hours before giving her the meds.

Every last one of my rats HATED "Silk" soy yogurt. They liked the yogurt from "Whole Soy&Company"

http://www.wholesoyco.com/our-products/ ... soy-yogurt

I hope this helps. Poor Little Miss. :sad3:

It sucks when they aren't feeling well. :cry4:

I just picked up Danactive ..Victoria recommened it ..meds are at 7 am and 7 pm ..looks like I'll be getting up 5 am every morning to give her yogurt and then go back to bed till 7 :giggle:

You actually do have to still wait two hours, unless you are lucky enough to find soy yogurt that is not fortified with calcium, magnesium, etc, which nearly all of them are. That is the problem, not the dairy.

Dazzle87 said:
You actually do have to still wait two hours, unless you are lucky enough to find soy yogurt that is not fortified with calcium, magnesium, etc, which nearly all of them are. That is the problem, not the dairy.

yes, that was the impression I was under as well, that it was the calcium that's the issue. & unfortunately, most imitation dairy products are also fortified with calcium.

jennifervb said:
Ratty Momma said:
What do you mean by good quality probioitic ?

My boys only got organic Soy yogurt from Whole Foods. You do not want to feed them any crap with a ton of preservatives in it. With the soy yogurt, you won't need to wait 2 hours before giving her the meds.

Every last one of my rats HATED "Silk" soy yogurt. They liked the yogurt from "Whole Soy&Company"

http://www.wholesoyco.com/our-products/ ... soy-yogurt

I hope this helps. Poor Little Miss. :sad3:

It sucks when they aren't feeling well. :cry4:

If it has probiotics you DO have to wait. Giving probiotics and antibiotics together is more harmful than not giving anything at all because you don't know how much antibiotics they end up getting and you actually risk antibiotic resistance. The other mineral interactions vary by antibiotic but the issue with probiotics is the same.

As for quality probiotics - not all strains are equal. There are some strains that have a lot of research that support their efficacy and others that don't. Probiotics help replace healthy digestive flora killed by antibiotics, which in turn helps digestion, nutrient absorption, and to crowd out opportunistic bacteria that may take advantage of the "empty" digestive tract to reproduce. Even though rats are lactose intolerant, milk based probiotic products may still be fairly easy to digest because of the aid of the bacteria in digestion. (Humans that are lactose intolerant often report yogurt is a lot less likely to cause discomfort.)

As previously stated, soy mock-dairy products are almost always fortified so they would have the same potential of interaction as dairy products.

I never took her in after, my vet phoned me and we discussed the whole probiotic thing + depression thing.

Were going to give the probiotics a go! and she is now in with her friends.

He never wanted to stress her out anymore than what she already is so he took my word for her eye looking better!

So with Clavamox ..can I not give ensure either unless 2 hours before and after?

and with the yogurt ..dose she NEED it 2 hours before and after ?

Probiotics you give within 2 hours of meds, I prefer afterwards myself but its just a preference.

Ensure has calcium in it so it might bind to the baytril molecules. Its doxycycline that is the real worry, but people are saying baytril now as well.

I always thought only doxy!

Oh well now I know.

the probiotics will have to be 2 hours before when I'm working since she gets meds a 7 am and I work till 330

Okay, so which would be better if meds are at 7am and 7pm ..probiotics at 5 AM or 5PM? ..I am actually stuopid,so xorry for such the dumb questions.

Ratty Momma said:
Okay, so which would be better if meds are at 7am and 7pm ..probiotics at 5 AM or 5PM? ..I am actually stuopid,so xorry for such the dumb questions.

Why wake up early to give probiotics when you can give them later on when it's not an inconvenience? I don't worry about the exact timing, its just to help the gut flora...one day might be 7 pm, another day might be 10 pm...its not like giving antibiotics (on a strict regimen) its just supposed to help the gut flora recover from the antibiotics.

Little Miss is currently out in the hallway with Ted, Toby and Bella running around having a good time :dance:

Latest posts

Back