Ratatouille might have a brain tumor...*please help me*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aggressive treatment with an antibiotic and an anti inflammatory is the treatment for neurological problems.
If the head tilt is being caused by an inner ear infection, then the treatment is the same but the antibiotic treatment is baytril + clavamox or cloramphenicol palmitate.
He needs to see a vet asap

I agree that he needs to see a vet asap. It could be an abcess or something behind the eye pushing it forward. Only a vet could tell you for sure, but I wouldnt think it would be a brain tumor. Poor little Ratatouille :(

ema-leigh said:
I agree that he needs to see a vet asap. It could be an abcess or something behind the eye pushing it forward. Only a vet could tell you for sure, but I wouldnt think it would be a brain tumor. Poor little Ratatouille :(

One symptom of a PT is that one eye will bulge. With my girl Laurel she was PTS when her eye actually came right out the socket - was still attatched, but it was a mess and the eye had basically come out. It does happen and just be careful. We took Laurel along as soon as we noticed that, it must have been extremely painful for her. :(

Ours always get a steroid injection and then prednisalone tablets twice a day and baytril.

Did the bulging come on suddenly? My girl Tilly had an abscess behind her eye, and her eye went from normal to bulging out of her head grotesquely in a matter of hours. I rushed her to the vet but the abscess had already partially collapsed her airways, so she was PTS.

I don't know if a head tilt was a part of her symptoms, as she was a rescue and came to me with a tilt, so she'd had the tilt all along.

*GRAPHIC WARNING* This is what her eye looked like:
[spoiler:3rtqruk8]
DSC_7309.jpg
[/spoiler:3rtqruk8]

Your Ratatouille needs a vet right away, in case it is something like what Tilly had.

Poor Tilly. :(

That's not what Laurels' looked like. She'd had PT for 6 weeks at that point and the eye had been covered in phorphyrin and blood (cut that we had used clean on to no real result). You could just see this blob... and we released it was the actual eye, sort of drooping down.

Not like Tillys... poor little thing.

Rachael said:
Poor Tilly. :(

That's not what Laurels' looked like. She'd had PT for 6 weeks at that point and the eye had been covered in phorphyrin and blood (cut that we had used clean on to no real result). You could just see this blob... and we released it was the actual eye, sort of drooping down.

Not like Tillys... poor little thing.

Tilly's was bad... and it went from normal to that in a matter of hours. smilez_n_hugs was actually over at the time, so she also knows how fast it got THAT bad. It was so heartbreaking and so sad. We took her to the emergency vets (it was around midnight) but they could do very little, and couldn't properly euthanize her. We got pain meds for her, and an ointment to keep the eye moist, then the following day she was PTS. :(

So you can see how quickly things can get so bad, and why vets are needed immediately.

I don't usually see bulging eyes with PT, but do see it with tumours or abscesses behind the eyes.
You will need an anti-inflammatory whether it be steroid or metacam and a strong combo of abs...even baytril and doxy is good.

lilspaz68 said:
I don't usually see bulging eyes with PT, but do see it with tumours or abscesses behind the eyes.
You will need an anti-inflammatory whether it be steroid or metacam and a strong combo of abs...even baytril and doxy is good.

I don't usually either, but with Laurel, obviosly it happened, and with Lenny one of his eyes bulged a little. Not a great deal but it was noticeable.

Laurel must've had something else on top of her PT because it cannot push an eye out of the socket...the tumour is in a little pocket of the skull and presses on the brain causing these symptoms. it just cannot push out like that.

I had a rat with a bulging eye too and he had a tumor in his ear pushing behind his eye. There was also a smell around that area. Good luck with your sweetie.

My Pebble developed a sudden head tilt. We researched it and took her to the vet, who said that the tilt had been caused by a stroke and would never go away, but with some looking after and rest she would be fine (she was understandably distressed). As for the eye bulge, I don't know, sorry. :(
I hope he's ok.

RatStravaganza said:
My Pebble developed a sudden head tilt. We researched it and took her to the vet, who said that the tilt had been caused by a stroke and would never go away, but with some looking after and rest she would be fine (she was understandably distressed). As for the eye bulge, I don't know, sorry. :(
I hope he's ok.

That was probably an ear infection. Ear infections cause head tilts and with steroids it can go away - it is hard and they are sometimes left with the tilt but it's worth trying that. :)

Hi,
His condition hasn't changed much. My mom is a vet tech, so she's helping out with this, and there are no vet hospitals in my area that see rats. He's not eating, and my mom tried to syringe-feed him, and he didn't want that either. I don't have a good feeling about this. I don't know what else to do.
Yes - we are keeping his eye hydrated as much as we can. Keep him in your prayers please, and I'll update with anything new that comes along.

x.

Back