Bathing Rats: The Photo Diary

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKMousie

Hey folks! It was bath time for rats at our house last night,and many, many pictures were taken. Here's a sampling of some of the more interesting ones. You can also find these (and more!) at my rat set on Flickr. And without further ado, here we go!

Joanie doesn't think this is a good idea.

Cutest plea for help ever!

Trixie doesn't mind so much.

Until the actual bathing starts!

Trixie perches and preens.

At first Joanie seems happy.

This doesn't last very long.

Okay, she'll put up with it.

Joanie perches and preens in front of a cool background. She's a superstar!

Linda said:
Alright, what's your secret for such calm rats?! I gave baths once and my bathroom was a war zone!!

Well socialized, tolerant rats. This was actually their first bath!

We use warm water, not too deep that they feel like they're drowning (they can stand on the bottom) but deep enough that they get a good soak, in a sink they can't easily jump out of without really going for it. Pet-safe shampoo so their eyes don't hurt, and lots of patient dunking and rinsing.

They didn't enjoy it per se, but they didn't flip out either. They trust us not to hurt them, I think. :)

Sooo cute! Great pictures, I wish my camera would take pictures like that. I feel like giving my girls a bath just so I can see a cute wet rat :lol: I know at least one of them needs a bath after the mess they made last night involving berries.. :roll:

I mainly use a Canon EOS 5D and a variety of lenses made for it, but it's not really the camera that's producing the results here. It's mostly the lighting, a little bit of the camera's depth of field performance, and the ability to adjust all the camera's settings manually to produce the look you want. That, and a lot of practice! :) Any DSLR could probably get results just as good as these, even many point & shoot cameras. My setup just makes it a wee bit more convenient.

The lighting does rely on some extra equipment, however. I'm using an off camera flash (any hot-shoe flash will do) and triggering it wirelessly with a pair of PocketWizard tranceivers. Again, this is mostly for conveneience... you could use many alternate lighting setups... the key part is using a light source that doesn't look like it's coming from the camera itself. This time I had a friend standing and holding the flash above the scene (guessing what would look nice) while I took various shots; the wireless made everything easy to manage in a cramped space.

You be surprised how much the 'pop' of a picture is good lighting, not hardware. :)

Great pictures. You must have a really good camera and be a good photographer too. Your poor ratties, I hope they've forgiven you! :)

:thumbup: These were amazing pictures!! They were so clear ^_^ I LOVE the plea for help pic! Really captured it perfectly ^_^ :thumbup:

Great pics!

Why on Earth would you need to give a hoodie a bath?
Every one I've ever had was very self-cleaning (and other-rat cleaning, and human-cleaning, and food dish-arranging, and litter-box emptying....well you get the idea) :stickpoke:

AlexandraBoo
You have a Very very Hairy back sir.
It's how we older men relate to our animal brethren

Said the man who nairs his back
:oops:

AlexandraBoo said:
You have a Very very Hairy back sir.
Love the pictures though. :joy:

Haha! Well... It's not *my* back that's so hairy, but yeah, I take your point. ;)

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Latest posts

Back